Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Settled

The word settled is a sweet word.  To put into order.  To arrange and fix as desired.  To establish as a resident.  To come to rest.  To make comfortable.  Quiet.  Rest.  Be still.  Relax.  Abide.  Dwell.  Live.

Two years ago we moved.  We moved, put our belongings in storage and stayed with my parents for a short time while we waited to move into our new house.  The day came when we had the keys to our home and were ready to move in.

The first order of business was unpacking.  Bringing in the boxes from the garage one by one and putting them away.  It was an orderly process.  After the boxes were unpacked I hung pictures and curtains.  Each step was bringing my family one step closer to a feeling of being settled and being home.

Does your heart ever feel unsettled?

Life and the circumstances around you are less than ideal?

The choices you've made have left you dealing with consequences that make you feel alone and distant from God?

Your prayer is save me O God.  The waters have come up to my neck.  I am sinking in the depths.  It is so deep there is no foothold.  I have come out into the deep waters, the floods engulf me.  I'm worn out.  My eyes can hardly see.  You know my lack of good sense and foolishness Lord.  My guilt is not hidden from you.  I feel like a stranger and an alien around my family and friends.  Please answer me.  Rescue me.   Don't let me sink.  Deliver me from the deep waters.  Do not let the flood waters engulf me, or the depths swallow me up or the pit close its mouth over me.  Answer me out of the goodness of your love.  In your great mercy would you turn to me Lord?  Do not hide your face from me.   I am in trouble.  Come near and rescue me.  My heart is broken and I feel helpless.  There is no one to comfort me. As I look around for sympathy, I am alone.

May the table before my enemies become a snare.  Free me from my enemies.  Myself.  Laziness, anger, bitterness, resentment, pride, a sharp tongue.  Have I fed my enemies and set a table for there provisions?  May there eyes be darkened so they cannot see and there backs be bent forever.  Let your fierce anger overtake them.  May their place be deserted; let there be no one to dwell in their tents.  May they be blotted out and not be listed with the righteous.

I am in pain and distress.  Protect me.  I will praise you in song.  I will glorify you with giving thanks.  Thanksgiving always precedes the miracle.  I am poor.  You say the poor will see and be glad.  I seek you so my heart may live.  You hear the needy and you do not despise your captive people.  You save.  You rebuild.  You settle your people and allow them to dwell among you.

Settle.  To put into order. To arrange and fix as desired. To establish as a resident. To come to rest. To make comfortable. Quiet. Rest. Be still. Relax. Abide. Dwell. Live.

Lord, settle me among you.  Your words, your truths.  Not among my enemies of self and this passing world.  Not among the enemy who prowls around looking to destroy souls.

To dwell with you is my prayer.  To nest where you are, to occupy your spaces and to make my home with you.


Psalm 69

No comments: